Taking revenge or holding a grudge on someone who's hurt you seems to be the easiest way to cope with betrayal. We've all done it: tried to make that person suffer worse than you did. And in the end, we end up regretting it.
Well, there's this thing called forgiveness. It may take a while... a long while... to be completely ready to reconcile a person who has betrayed you in the worst of ways. But the moment you realize there's nothing you can do but forgive someone, you feel an overwhelming sense of peace within yourself. It's almost freeing.
So here's five songs I've had to listen to over and over to finally get to the point of complete forgiveness of others AND myself.
1.) Dig by Incubus
"We all have a weakness
But some of ours are easy to identify
Look me in the eye and ask for forgiveness;
We'll make a pact to never speak that word again
Yes, you are my friend"
I specifically connect with the line "Look me in the eye and ask for forgiveness". It's brief, yet immensely powerful. When I get hurt, like anyone else, all I ask for is a sincere apology. I haven't discovered why it's so hard for humanity to fess up to mistakes and ask for forgiveness, but I've struggled with it myself. This song connects to both sides of forgiveness: forgiving others and forgiving yourself too. The famous saying: "Forgive and forget" is written differently in this song when Brandon Boyd sings "We'll make a pact to never speak that word again". Sometimes, though it seems impossible at the time, you just have to forget about it. Life is easier when you move on than constantly grieving over the past. Life goes on.
But some of ours are easy to identify
Look me in the eye and ask for forgiveness;
We'll make a pact to never speak that word again
Yes, you are my friend"
I specifically connect with the line "Look me in the eye and ask for forgiveness". It's brief, yet immensely powerful. When I get hurt, like anyone else, all I ask for is a sincere apology. I haven't discovered why it's so hard for humanity to fess up to mistakes and ask for forgiveness, but I've struggled with it myself. This song connects to both sides of forgiveness: forgiving others and forgiving yourself too. The famous saying: "Forgive and forget" is written differently in this song when Brandon Boyd sings "We'll make a pact to never speak that word again". Sometimes, though it seems impossible at the time, you just have to forget about it. Life is easier when you move on than constantly grieving over the past. Life goes on.
"You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
In a moment they can choose to walk away
Love 'em anyway"
First, I have to say Martina McBride's voice makes the message of this song feel like a real life experience every time it plays. The power in her voice when she sings the lines above makes me get the chills. As a Christian, I've always been taught to forgive others. But as I became a teenager and started experiencing true betrayal and grief, forgiveness became a distant friend to me. It is such a skill to completely forgive someone. So as the song says, "Love 'em anyway". It will hurt, but in the end, it makes the process simpler. I've accepted that friendships and relationships will fail in life and they may be the other person's fault. But what good does it do to always relive the past if it hurt so bad?
"Back to you
It always comes around
Back to you
I tried to forget you
I tried to stay away
But it's too late"
John Mayer puts it all out there; and I completely relate to the lyrics of "Back to You". While I try not to put my life out there for everyone to see, here I go: I've gone to hell and back with my boyfriend of over 3 years. I've had to forgive him one too many times in some peers' eyes. I've tried to forget him, tried to stay away, but it's too late. I believe if there is a person that you keep going back to, after trying with all your will power not to, there's something there. I've chosen forgiveness. And apparently, so did John Mayer.
It always comes around
Back to you
I tried to forget you
I tried to stay away
But it's too late"
John Mayer puts it all out there; and I completely relate to the lyrics of "Back to You". While I try not to put my life out there for everyone to see, here I go: I've gone to hell and back with my boyfriend of over 3 years. I've had to forgive him one too many times in some peers' eyes. I've tried to forget him, tried to stay away, but it's too late. I believe if there is a person that you keep going back to, after trying with all your will power not to, there's something there. I've chosen forgiveness. And apparently, so did John Mayer.
"If I don't say this now I will surely break
As I'm leaving the one I want to take
Forgive the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate"
This piece is about forgiving one's self. I must say, I've met very few people who have never done something idiotic. Some situations are ones the person can just laugh off; but others are serious and need extra self-evaluation. When making a mistake that is dear to your heart, it's going to take time to feel no more shame or regret. "Forgive the urgency... My heart has started to separate". You have to forgive yourself and move on. Once again: by wallowing in self-pity or grieving over heart break (or whatever it may be) the best thing you can do is forgive. The peace it brings within so more self-fulfilling than any other feeling in the world.
As I'm leaving the one I want to take
Forgive the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate"
This piece is about forgiving one's self. I must say, I've met very few people who have never done something idiotic. Some situations are ones the person can just laugh off; but others are serious and need extra self-evaluation. When making a mistake that is dear to your heart, it's going to take time to feel no more shame or regret. "Forgive the urgency... My heart has started to separate". You have to forgive yourself and move on. Once again: by wallowing in self-pity or grieving over heart break (or whatever it may be) the best thing you can do is forgive. The peace it brings within so more self-fulfilling than any other feeling in the world.
"Jesus, can You show me just how far
The east is from the west?
'Cause I can't bear to see the man I've been
Rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
You know just how far
The east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other"
The east is from the west?
'Cause I can't bear to see the man I've been
Rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
You know just how far
The east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other"
Sometimes we think we've forgiven others or think we've even forgiven ourselves. But you know it's not complete redemption when that man is rising up [in me] again. It isn't until you have honestly come to a peace with yourself that you are completely done worrying. I think this song is perfect for anyone who believes in a God. The singer is saying he finds rest in his God and He is his safe place. For others, they may find rest in other things. Nevertheless, its good to have someone to ask forgiveness of.
Hope you can somehow relate! Enjoy the music.
I liked that that you chose to do your songs on forgiveness. Forgiving people is a very hard thing to do, and I think you explain it really well on how it's hard to do so. I think it's also great that you showed other ways that people need to be forgiven. I liked that you chose a song by Incubus, because I did too!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Shawn completely, forgiveness is something that most people find incredibly difficult. I myself am terrible at it; I hold the biggest grudges unless I love the person. When you talk about being to hell in back with your boyfriend I know exactly where you’re coming from. I would completely forget about something that would bring me to tears because the love I had for someone who at times didn’t deserve an ounce of it. I turn to music constantly to help me through situations but I can be honest and say that forgiveness isn’t something I’ve ever gone to music for. The song you chose by The Fray is really powerful for me personally because their lyrics are always inspiring me.
ReplyDeletevery relevant. thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete