Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Atypical Cheerleader

I appear to be a cheerleader
In my uniform and bow.
But I’d rather be wearing my hippie purse.

I appear to be a cheerleader
In my “too-skinny, anorexic” body.
But I could out-eat a football player.

Cheerleaders listen to Z-107.7.
Not I—
I am a classical pianist. 

Cheerleaders are dumb.
Well please feel free to check my GPA and ACT,
Then judge me some more.

I am a cheerleader:
Happy, bubbly, and shallow.
But this girl is none of those;
I am realistic, mellow, and profound.

I am a cheerleader:
POPULAR.
Yet my friends can be counted on one hand.

So there—I am a cheerleader
But I am a secret hippie,
I am a pig,
I am a music-aholic,
I am intelligent,
I am dedicated,
I am lonely.

4 comments:

  1. I have cheered with you for 4 years, and if outsiders knew how much our squad was not the "typical cheerleader" this sterotype would not exist in our school. I like the line, "I am a cheerleader: POPULAR. Yet my friends can be counted on one hand." It shows how you pick your close friends carefully and that what matters to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well first off, you aren't any typical cheerleader. Those are some of the things I think of when I think of the sterotype for cheerleaders. Really, most cheerleaders aren't any of those, especially you. All these things you are, are great. Who doesn't love eating? Exactly. I love the way you wrote this whole thing and how you ended it with all your best traits that you shouldn't hide or be ashamed of. Just rock the hippie purse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you put all these stereotypes to rest. Like TSchmitt mentioned, I like that you said your friends can be counted on one hand. The way you stood up for yourself, and perhaps the rest of the cheerleaders, is just incredible. Hopefully people realize that our cheer squad is not your stereotypical one after reading this. Hummdaddy said it best. I personally have never viewed you as the stereotypical cheerleader. You are kind to everyone and it is obvious that you are more proud of your music background than your cheer accolades.

    ReplyDelete